Friday, February 6, 2009

Eight Is Enough

When I was in university a very hot course to take was bioethics. I took philosophy in my first year and so I was eligible to take this class. Instead, I took Fine Art History [and we all know the rest of that story]. I'm wondering now how life might have turned out if I had gone with the bioethics...but I think @ the time I couldn't manage it - too studenty, too much fighting, too much domination of the class by those two or three know-it-all types [and yes, I heard from friends who took the class that my assumptions were quite correct]. It seems that bioethics is something that really rankles people...and I'm generally up for a rankling now and again now that I'm a crotchety old adult.

This woman with her octuplets has certainly got people rankled...even though the news is at least twice as old as the Christian Bale rant - it goes on. Although I reckon she's a full-on idiot with rather large mental problems, I will give the mother credit for being able to manage a news cycle [or perhaps that's her agent's doing]. The whole situation is just crazypants all over - fourteen children? You really need that so badly that you need to have IVF to attain it? I'm in a similar position to her, really [well, aside from being an idiot...well, not that type of idiot] - I am unmarried [though in a stable relationship], unemployed...and I would never think of having one child. I can only assume that she's a rampant narcissist [again, a different type of narcissist from yours truly] with only the flimsiest grasps on reality. I do feel for the children - they face a big uphill battle in life and it's not fair to be born into that.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never really wanted children, so I can't see going to extreme measures to have one [or fourteen]. I know that this makes me someone that evolution left behind, but I truly have no desire to procreate. If I ever do have the desire to pass on bits of myself or whatever I would consider adoption [even after the ordeal that my family endured regarding adoption]. There are so many children waiting to be adopted and so many people in the world in general...I couldn't justify making my own. It's something that boggles me a bit with The Brangelina - their dedication to adoption is admirable [I'm really not being cynical here, I think it's great]...but then they also have three biological children and seem to be open to more [according to tabloids - which are obviously always right]. And yes, I know that I'm probably going to be percieved as a monster for all of this and that babies are the best things ever...all I can say is that I'm happy being childfree and I think it's vaguely amusing that this gets people all rankled [yes, it's the word of the day].

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. I don't care how much you want to be a mom, having 14 (or 7) kids when you're single, unemployed, and living with your parents is irresponsible.

    ReplyDelete