For The Unemployed Elitist, a job offer can be something quite wonderful and yet at the same time - the very thing that ends the adventure. That's right, I do have a tentative job offer and I haven't entirely decided where to go with it. It is the job that I have already posted about - so you can revisit those posts for more background. After much delay I got the call this morning with an offer. I did not immediately take it for a few reasons [also - I think if I've been waiting for a week and a half for some communication, I can make them wait, too]. I'm not really seeking advice [though it's always appreciated] as it will likely be too late by the time I read comments...but I think I should lay out the case for and against taking this job.
The economy is rough - that's a fact. That is also the dominating factor in me saying "yes" to this job. The fact that the job market is s-l-o-w. Taking this job would mean that I have a job that pays me cash money. This is the main pro to taking the job. While I would like to work in not-for-profit, the organization isn't a particular favourite/pet cause and the role is not entirely appealing [I would prefer to deal with people over reports and databases]. You could argue that I would be a total fool to turn down any type of employment in our current financial environment. I'm hoping someone chooses to argue against this [if it factors in - I am not currently experiencing money troubles - I can't splash out on things, but I can pay my bills].
The cons to accepting the job. And yes, even I feel squicky about saying that accepting a job would have cons [this is not a reflection of my upbringing - I was taught that life is tough/not fair and you should just mostly shut up and do your job and of course it's not supposed to be fun - it's work]. Well, I just found out through the latest conversation with my potential employer that this job is a contract to fill a maternity leave. In the role description the job is described as a permanent, full-time position. Why would they lie? What's going on here? As a result of it being a contract the position offers no benefits, no holiday time and obviously no guarantee of a job after a year [it's a very small organization, there would be no room to move into a different position].
So - there you have it. I do hate to complain, but @ this point I feel as though I'm just stating the obvious and that is - why is nothing in my life at all ever simple? I feel like it must be me that is making everything so damned complicated. The thing is - if I would have known it was a maternity cover I would have never applied for the job in the first place. My gut is telling me - don't do this...but my brain says - people need jobs so shut up and deal...so yeah, I guess advice would be lovely.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know about you, but when I was unemployed, I wanted to get a job simply so that I would have something to do. (You can do whatever you want while unemployed, but I always felt guilty for not job hunting.)
ReplyDeleteAddtional cons would be that it would make it less likely that you would find a job you would love.
I agree that the economy is not looking good (and no quick turnaround is expected). Non-profits are expected to take a big hit as well, so it might be worth taking the job before no similar jobs are available.
Having said that, the fact that they lied about the permanent vs. contract would be probably the biggest issue for me.
It's not an easy decision. Good luck!
Yup - I feel like I've kinda been there and back with the whole "I'm unemployed so I need a job just to have a job" thing. Although it's totally understandable and I still struggle with it.
ReplyDeleteToday I've kinda had a revelation. I know that getting a job that I love is a bit crazypants, but I want to work in a field that I love. This is not it and never has been.
Yes, the lie is the big sticking point for me as it's happened to me before. It's never a great way to start a professional relationship. And fit is so important - something like this really sticks in my craw.
The driving force behind my decision is the fact that if I had all of the information originally I would have never applied for it in the first place.
That's true. In a way, you lose nothing by turning it down - because you wouldn't have applied in the first place if you knew everything about it. And you got interviewing experience & the offer out of it, so in a way you come out ahead - you're better prepared for when you find a job (or field) you will love.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of myself for negotiating a teeny, tiny bit as well. Usually I just accept before they even tell me any of the terms. I'm always scared they will reject me - even for like, the first month of work.
ReplyDeleteIn this moment of clarity earlier today I realised that working @ a not-for-profit is not my dream. It would be okay, but I think I should be elsewhere.