Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wall Of Sound

I've said numerous times that when I die on my nonexistent gravestone [because I don't want to be buried - totally a Jedi funeral for me] I want written my name and then "surrounded by a-holes" - because, seriously. I'm sure many people feel this way so please, feel free to use it on your real gravestone. This relates to today's post because, seriously, a-holes? You need to learn to keep it down. One of my most pressing concerns @ home is the noise level. I supposed I'm somewhat reformed from my loud days [which, in my defense, occurred when I was a teenager/young adult and you're so deeply into music that it has to me mind-blisteringly loud all the time - once one hits, say, 23 years old - you should be over this]. It's pretty obvious that my neighbours are not over this and while the loud music doesn't happen daily, it does happen multiple times per week and goes on for hours. How loud? Like, Jurassic Park loud [liquids in glass vibrate like in the film when the T-Rex is after them]...floors and walls bounce/shake and I can hear every word of the music [or sometimes television or radio]. No matter where I am in the house I can hear it so there is no escape. Often I will go outside, jam earplugs in my ears or put my MP3 player on loud...with limited degrees of success.

Joseph says I shouldn't let it personally bother me - that I should just shake it off. But to me, I don't see how this isn't personal. This is the choice of other people to be a-holes - they are saying "my enjoyment is more important than yours so screw you." And that is just plain rude [however typical of our society]. In my brain, I just can't comprehend how people can be like this. My music/TV/radio is @ a level that it is barely audible in the other rooms. When we lived above other tenants we never wore shoes in the house [not that we would normally - we're Canadian] and were generally aware of the types of noise that might be filtering below. We never had parties. This is all part of living in an apartment [particularly converted house apartments].

But it goes beyond noise - I can't comprehend selfishness on the whole. Like, people who litter. Why the frak are you doing that? Don't you realise that someone will have to pick that up? And even if no one does, it means that you are being discusting. I'm sure there are many more examples of people generally being selfish a-holes, but I think my brain has been melted by noise and rage.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I could not agree with you more about the Jurassic Park noise. We had neighbors like that at our last apt. We had to call the cops on them one night because I had already politely asked them to keep it down and they actually turned up the music. When the cops got there, they sent them up to our apt. and said that we were the ones making the noise. Me, my hubby and my parents... Yeah... Oh, and then we found 2 bullets in the hall the next morning... We moved shortly thereafter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap is that scary. My next goal after I get a job is to move. Not just because of the noise issue - mostly I'm wanting some outdoor space - a balcony, deck or part of a yard. I'm pretty easy to please - not having outdoor access is making me stir crazy.

    ReplyDelete