Okay, so evidently I didn't create a "stuff from all over" tag after my last post. I think I should be doing that right now. Coming off of the weekend, although it was not terribly eventful...I feel like I have a lot to say. And the easiest way for me to do this is via ye olde pointe forme. So yeah, what follows is job stuff, baseball stuff, pop culture stuff...
- the job stuff. So...at long last I did hear back from that job opportunity. To put a fine point on it - I did not get the job. I was informed of this via email and if I were to simply tell you of this email you might not believe me, so here's a direct copy: "It was a very competitive process and a very difficult decision but in the end we have decided to go with another candidate. With your permission, I would love to be able to contact you in the future when a new and more senior position opens up at XYZ." Ummm, okay? Thanks for elaborating on why I suck...oh wait, you didn't. So, I fire back an email indicating both my disappointment in not getting the job and inquiring as to what the deciding factor was [I'm always interested in improving my performance, and ideally, one of these days - I would love to actually get the job]. This is the response: "Like I said, it was a very difficult decision. You will be the first person I contact when a role that is more than administration opens up. I really enjoyed meeting you and was really very impressed with you." Huh. So, that's that. I still have no idea what went on. I showed this to some of my fellow job seekers @ the shoe museum and they read it as me being too senior for the position. But then, we were confused as to why they would invest time in two interviews/referencing [though they never completed the referencing on me].
- still on the job. I was sad. I mean, I'm okay with continuing to be the Unemployed Elitist...but I'm not okay with not getting this job. I felt like everything was in my favour this time and it really was a great opportunity for me. In all honesty I've never wanted any of the jobs I've been on interviews for in the last fifteen years of my life. They were just jobs. This position was a chance for me to really do something...and had neat perks like my own office and I could cycle to work and the neighbourhood was peppered with cute, independent coffee shops. It's Monday morning now and I'm mostly over it [aside from a mini-breakdown in the Frakking Price Chopper whilst listening to Robbie Williams on my MP3 player]. I'm not looking forward to starting the process all over again. I feel like I'm not going to come across an opportunity like this again...so I might just jump on the next job that comes along. A job that is just a job. Bleh.
- moving away from job stuff. I've watched much baseball over the past few days. The Yankees are a deplorable mess. I've decided to put the blame squarely on both their manager and then higher-up management. I can't possibly blame this on the lack of A-Rod because their pitching has been just terrible [even AJ Burnett - I guess you were only awesome under the Toronto influence]. They looked so pathetic against the Red Sox over the weekend - it was humiliating. I hate losing to the Red Sox. Mostly, I just hate it when the Red Sox win. Get it together, Rabbit Troupe!
- and more baseball. The Blue Jays won their sixth consecutive series [that is to say they haven't lost a series yet] over the weekend. I was giddy as a schoolgirl listening to the bigtime ESPN broadcasters talking about the Blue Jays and crediting Cito with being consistently amazing [ie. actually being a manager]. Yes, I guess I'm one of those Canadians that gets excited when I hear Americans talk about "us." ESPN even chose to highlight the Blue Jays game as their "other baseball games" thing during Sunday night baseball. Eeeee!
- and on Lazy Sunday. I volunteered @ the shoe museum and picked up my fancy shoe playing cards. I love playing cards. But I hate actually playing cards. I would just like to amass a large collection of them. These ones are very snazzy - each one has a different shoe and information on it. And they are excessively glossy. I also got a hand-written card from the shoe museum folks detailing all the ways I help make the shoe museum awesome. This brightened my mood considerably. They really treat their volunteers very well - it's a bit of a rarity, even for institutions that run on volunteers. I missed out on the volunteer recognition dinner, but they certainly spare no expense [and yes, the owner can certainly afford it, but that's beside the point].
- and more on Lazy Sunday. Joseph and I decided to make use of the buy one, get one free admission for the big box movie theatre and went to see The Watchmen. Joseph power-read the graphic novel on Saturday evening/Sunday morning, while I decided to go in fresh. Well, as fresh as I can be when I'm assessing anything relating to Alan Moore. I would provide a full-scale film review, but I've gone on too much already today. Suffice to say that I did not have an entirely enjoyable time, although the film had its moments and was vaguely entertaining. I'm glad that it was essentially half-price for us. Seriously - not everything needs to be turned up to eleven [though Alan Moore strikes me as a "turn everything up to eleven" kinda guy]. And yet, the film was also incredibly dull. I think there is only so much intensity that one can handle before you're just like, yeah, enough already.
- on the radio. Poetry contest? Broadcast on the radio? Please get over yourself CBC Radio - you are really testing the limits of my patience on a Monday morning.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Even More Stuff From All Over
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sorry to hear about your not getting the job. I hate it when employers give on the runaround like that!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that you didn't get the job. It's possible that they know something else will be opening up in the near future, and they want you for that opening but can't say so yet - but, of course, you can't count on that.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the condolences [I feel like someone died!]. I just wish I knew more about why I didn't get the job. Me and my fellow jobless folk have ripped apart every bit of that email from every possible angle.
ReplyDeleteColette - I highly doubt anything will crop up. It's a two-person organization and in these tough economic times, charitable foundations are really not growing [despite the need for them growing]. I am trying to be optimistic about their comments on me, but mostly I'm just taking it as a standard positive kiss-off.
I, too, am so sorry about the job. If it's any consolation, I had the same exact thing happen to me when I was searching for a job, too. Then, out of the complete blue, 3 months later, I got a call from that same employer saying that the person they gave the job to didn't work out and I was a close second and they'd love to have me come work for them. (Still looking for a job 3 months later) I said, "yes!" and was told that the first person had more experience than me and that's why I was passed over the first time. I've been at this job for about a year and a half now and to be honest, it's nothing like what I thought it would be and I'm ready to move on. All that to say, that while it may not seem like it right now, maybe it's for the better...
ReplyDeleteIt's true - it might not have been the most perfect job ever. But for right now, I would just like to have a job. A good job...but I would say that my standards of what that might be are dropping...
ReplyDelete