Monday, April 13, 2009

The Visitors

Everything really came together this past weekend and now I'm entirely spent. I suppose that's a sign that a good time was had...if not "by all" then certainly by me. My feet are pretty much dead to me @ the moment as my well-worn Ikon trainers decided to go rogue on me during my walking tour of Toronto with my two cousins from Edmonton, Kercelyn and Alex. Much bleeding and pain persisted throughout the weekend, but I toughed it out because I'm hardcore like that. I'm so exhausted right now - I think because I just stopped - I might have been able to maintain my pace of the weekend otherwise [sometimes I'm so happy to be unemployed]. This photo is me a few moments before saying goodbye to my cousins - because we had the sudden realization that we promised our respective parents we would take photos. Ooops.


Yes, they are tall and athletic. I will admit that I felt a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think they had a good time. Alex won double gold @ the Taekwondo tournament and Kercelyn won gold as well [she had an injury that prevented her from fully participating]. I know that they "get" the whole lack of visitors thing as, living in Edmonton, they do not get family ever really. It's funny how quick and easy a rapport can be established when I've really only met them a couple of times [and they were aged 9 and 5 the last time I saw them]. With the exception of Facebook and calls/letters @ xmas, we really don't keep in touch. But, they are family and that kinda overrides all those circumstance. They couldn't be lovelier "kids" [although I'm sure they don't want to be called that] and we have some surprising things in common. And yes, I think I did age about 20 years when Kercelyn told me that I *was* something of a style icon to her when she was younger [because now I'm clearly over the hill?].


Pictured above are my other cousins, Mark and his wife, Jen. Unlike my other cousins, Mark and I grew up not unlike brother and sister - having classes together, going on holiday together, socializing together and etc. I really thought that they weren't going to be visiting because of a change in Kercelyn and Alex's tournament schedule. They decided to tour on over anyway, even though they didn't get to see my other cousins. My inner narcissist was thrilled, but I had only about an hour to prepare for their impromptu visit. I took them to a vegan restaurant - because I thought it was the most different cuisine from our meat-producing/loving hometown. As a result of being taken by surprise with their visit I just had a ridiculous grin the entire time. And I think I still do.


That's just me. I should also note that my mum was also here for the entire weekend. She bought me an Easter outfit. And I bought the sunglasses to match as I knew Joseph wouldn't kick up as much of a fuss over them [he equates them with young Hollywood and Nicole Richie in particular - he's not a fan...nor am I] with my mum there. I think I look pretty gangster and I wanted to share. I imagine I looked so gangster hobbling to Zellers wearing socks + Birks because my feet + real shoes = no...but it was well worth it. I feel like I'm in a better place now, after this whirlwind long weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I think I look like a pretty tough chickie. I like it a lot.

    It really was a good time. I don't think I have as much to fear with any future visitors.

    ReplyDelete