Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm Loving It

I will tell you upfront that I am one of the world's greatest clickers. When I've got the pusher [the remote - I started calling it "the pusher" some years ago and I've never looked back] I am unstoppable. I rove, I comb, I pick...and nine times out of ten I land back on the original program just as the bumper is returning us back to our regularly scheduled program. My secret? I was trained by technology while in my formative TV viewing years. My dad splashed out on a picture-in-picture television [it was ridiculously overpriced - more than twice the price of a television the same size without this technology] when I was but a tween and it allowed risk-free channel surfing. As it happens, I was the only one in the house who ever knew how to work this device and this TV now proudly sits in my bedroom - to the victor go the spoils!

What I'm trying to say is that I don't watch a lot of adverts. I have no use for them and I know that I am way too easily manipulated. I'm also too emotional for my own good and every so often some adverts come along that seriously make me tear up. There's one airing right now - and every time I see it I have to stop and watch it and then feel a bit nostalgic and sad. It's a McDo advert - I strongly suspect it's Canadian only due to the hockey theme. It's a young girl and her father enjoying what is no doubt a fine meal @ McDo after a hockey game/practice. The girl asks her father if he ever wishes that she were born a boy. The father goes on about "who would I teach to..." blah blah blah hockey terms...until he says "if you were a boy - who would be my little girl?" Oh. God. Gets me every time. It pulls @ a lot of the strings of my relationship with my father - being that I'm the only child and a girl. And that my dad was a big sports guy. And I would play/watch sports in part to spend time with him and then sports ended up being such a connection for us. I used to wonder the same thing - that maybe he would have preferred a son...but he probably thought I was a better son than a daughter anyway [my mum's probably disappointed she didn't get a real girl for a daughter]. But yeah...I'm kinda in love with this soppy advert...but I haven't indulged in McDo since the free fry coupons ran out in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment