I'm a lot more like Michael Scott than most people would care to admit. And, I completely get why one would not yearn to identify with such a figure. But, I'm pretty honest with myself about myself...and I do think that a big part of the appeal of The Office is that the characters do seem real and relatable [even if it's the ickier parts of our selves that we wish were cooler or prettier or just better somehow]. He's a pretty pathetic person and yet, I think that he has a good [if not always fair and balanced] approach to work and office life. Yes, he's over zealous and not always the most socially adept - but he does seem to do a damn good job with his job. He succeeds despite incompetence [which is totally a Homer Simpson trait as well - I'm a bit Homer, too]. And he really does care about his employees as though they were family or close friends [okay, not Toby...obviously - but can you blame him?]. And I can't help but find that admirable and very, very true to me. I think it was in the original Office [the UK series] that David Brent pointed out how you spend more time with your coworkers than with your family...or some such. And while that's hardly a revelation, it doesn't make it any less of a valid observation. So, the way I feel is that you should probably be able to tolerate these people that you spend all this time with.
And I do like most of "these people." I generally make quick and easy friendships @ work. If I don't - the job will not be a success for me. In fact, I quit my job as a barista after less than one month because my fellow employees were so clique-y. All of my best work relationships - either with peer or superior/subordinator ones - they have all worked on a professional level because we could connect on a personal level [often this connection was a complete mystery - like me and one of my partners @ the search firm - he was a fair bit older than my father would be, excessively wealthy due to a combination of hard work and old money, enjoyed hunting and horses...but we were totally BFFs and worked together like nobody's business to full capacity and then some]. I mean, I can work with people that I don't get on with - but I find it incredibly difficult. I'm more motivated to do a good job if I like you, plain and simple. It might be a smidge unprofessional, but I think it's also human nature.
All of this is to say that I am tremendously grateful to my most recent boss, Heather, for taking me out for a friendly lunch today. Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch? *ahem* We attempted to puzzle out why I didn't get *the* job [she knows the executive director of *the* job and was the one reference who got called]. We gossiped a bit about past goings on and current goings on in my life - professionally and personally. We talked shop - a bit about not-for-profit organizations and her fast approaching retirement. She's probably the most organized person I've ever met [yes, including my mum - who is really more neat/clean than she is organized - but I think this frequently tricks me into thinking she's terribly organized] and incredibly knowledgeable in her field [fundraising and not-for-profits generally]. I've learned so much from her - it's great to have someone like that in my corner. Cheesy though it may be - having someone that bright and experienced believe in me makes me feel as though getting a good job is a distinct possibility, if not a foregone conclusion.
[PS - I'm going out on a site visit with Joseph tonight! I'm so excited! I'm going to be doing real work with the rubbish and recycling and everything! However, we aren't going scheduled to be there for another two hours so I'm not sure I'm going to make it. I will detail all tomorrow.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoy getting to know the people I work with. It DOES make a job more effective when you know something about where a person is coming from.
ReplyDeletePlus, it makes a job more fun. And I think that's important. If you are in a positive frame of mind, you will perform better. Just like in the recent Office episodes - everyone is bored and quiet without Michael around! He really gives a lot to his work...
ReplyDelete