Thursday, April 9, 2009

Family Ties

Over the next few days I am likely to be pretty sparse around these parts. Not because I'm going to be so into the whole Easter feaster thing [in fact, I learned from a young age that Easter was quite a depressing non-holiday], but because I will be entertaining family. This is something quite exciting and totally brand new for me in Toronto. Granted, I've lived here for nearly twelve years so it takes something pretty impressive for something to be new for me here in my fair city. Yes, certain family members have paid me a visit - my parents and now my mum and her husband come to visit once or twice per year. Two pairs of aunts and uncles have visited, but only in the capacity to help me move apartments. So, not really the social events of the season. It's always interesting having family here - it's totally like worlds colliding a la Seinfeld.

Anyway, yes, my mum is visiting, but she's kinda old hat @ this whole Toronto thing. The main excitement is stemming from my cousins who are visiting from Edmonton. I haven't seen them in almost twelve years in fact. They are now pretty much adults, but still a lot younger than me. This makes me feel quite aged. I remember when I was little and my cousin came to visit my hometown with her parents [she was a baby @ the time] - it was a very big deal. I got to take the day off school and they took me to our nearest city and we went out for Chinese food for lunch. Just me and them. I thought it was really special. And now, this same baby is twenty-one years old, super tall and quite stunning - not to mention a Taekwondo champion and a dancer. We could totally party - except that I'm too old to party and terribly unhip. But, I hope I can show them a little bit of my city - something that makes it special.

Without getting into too much gory family history, it's pretty obvious that we aren't as close as we used to be. Geographically and otherwise. Of course, they could all be just as close and it's me who is divided - I can accept that. With my family being just three people, I always thought of my extended family as just regular family. We were very close until I moved away - we celebrated everything - every anniversary, birthday and all the holidays. Since my dad's death I don't go home very often...but in fairness, people don't come to visit me either. Life moves quickly and we often choose the path of least resistance. That's normal, it's human. And don't get me wrong, like Bon Jovi says - if I got that call in the middle of the night, I'd be right by your side...When I was little I always imagined that my kids [yes, I suppose I entertained the notion back then] would grow up with my cousin Mark's kids - that they would be just as close as we were [like brother and sister really]. He has two young children now and I've only met them a couple of times. I do wish we could be closer - the kids are beyond cutey muffin gumbo and I like his lovely bride as well. It's a remote possibility that they might also visit this weekend. It would be fun to have all of us "kids" together - the younger generation as it were [also, Mark is a few months older than me so I would feel much younger in comparison].

I don't have any great expectations about this weekend. I want to have a laugh and enjoy their company. I want to know that there are people out there who I have a link with, no matter what or the distance and time apart.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you all have fun together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of my cousins on my mom's side are close - and their kids call everyone "Aunt" or "Uncle", so I can somewhat relate.

    I hope you have a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great visit! Both "sets" of cousins ended up being here, so it was quite fun. I'm entirely gutted right now though - I feel like I need a week off to recover.

    ReplyDelete