Saturday, April 4, 2009

Job Interview #5

So I pick up the telephone late Friday afternoon and it's a friendly, if preppy sounding voice on the other end. Ooops, better shift out of late Friday afternoon mode and into semi-professional phone mode [I get most of my interview requests on Friday afternoon]. He identifies the organization he's calling from and it's not ringing any bells in my photographic memory. Not wanting to play the idiot with a perfect stranger I bluff and say "of course I remember applying for a job with your organization" [note: I don't] and we arrange for an interview on Monday afternoon. The phone safely hung up I check my "jobs applied for database" - a place where I store all of the jobs I've applied for, information on the organization and role descriptions. Still no sign of the mystery organization. A quick check on one of my job boards reveals what has happened...when I applied for that original Executive Assistant position [the one with the fun interview], it was sitting next to this organization's posting, also for an Executive Assistant. I must have applied to both of them by accident. The thing is, I've said before that I would only consider being an EA if the organization were very interesting and the job would be more than the typical assistant-y stuff. This organization/role seems to have little to no zazz so I would have been highly unlikely to apply for it.

And yet, here we sit. I`ve decided that I`m still going to the interview. For a few reasons. I feel as though organizations waste my time and show a general lack of respect for us proud unemployed folks time and efforts - consider this payback. I`m not seriously interested in this job, but it won`t hurt anyone to sit with me for 30 minutes or so for pleasant conversation. The weather is nicer generally these days so I don`t mind getting gussied up and going downtown. And, it`s a good opportunity for me to try out some new material that I don`t normally use on interviews. I can rehearse and practice all I want, but as soon as I`m in front of a real person, I morph into a slightly less impressive figure. As much as I hate this, I do tend to parrot back a lot of the rote answers [in fairness, this is in response to rote questions] and I seem too eager to please. I'm going to roll out the new and improved aloof and quick-answered me and see how that goes as I really have nothing to lose here.

Am I being a total jerk?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you're being a jerk. Go in there, look interested, and give them your best answers.

    Maybe the job's requirements are different than what they posted and it will be the PERFECT match for you! Wouldn't that be ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, go to the interview - it's good practice, and you never know whether it will end up being something other than what you expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, well, I dunno about my "best answers" but they were the most honest answers I've ever given in an interview.

    The job still doesn't sound fantastic, but is fractionally more interesting than advertised.

    ReplyDelete