Thursday, April 16, 2009

Root, Root, Root For The Home Team

I like to think of my fair city as a pretty sports-friendly town. To be certain, Toronto is pretty hockey crazed. You just plain can't get tickets to Leafs games - there's always some controversy about how all the tickets go to corporate fat cats and while I'm no hockey fan, I agree that sucks. I can say that when I went to my one and only professional hockey game, the arena [stadium? what do you call a place where you play hockey?] was pretty dead quiet. They even had this amusing thing during one of the pauses called "Suit Cam" or something like that where they showed all of these fat cats still dressed in their business duds [to be fair, Joseph was also still dressed in his work clothes, but they didn't show him because our seats sucked]. They should limit corporations from snapping up tickets, just like they do for scalpers. But the funny thing is...the Toronto Maple Leafs really suck. A lot. They keep missing the playoffs and, from what I can tell in the NHL they let damn near everyone in [same with the NBA]. And, this is what Toronto sportsfans love, love, love to wallow in - their collective loser-ness. Today on Metro Morning there was a whole segment on how Toronto sports teams are big losers...but really what they meant is that our hockey and basketball teams suck ass. I didn't even know people cared about the Toronto Raptors [they are so silly to me and I find basketball endlessly dull], but apparently they do.

But do you know who Toronto apparently doesn't care about? That's right, my boys [well, secondary boys, but still] the Blue Jays. Now, it's true - I've not lived in this city while the Blue Jays were winning World Series and what not - but I hardly think that this city is one of fair-weather sports fans, given that the Leafs have sucked out loud for decades. And yet, here we are ten games into the season and the Blue Jays are off to a rousing start - sitting pretty atop the American League East, blowing out the competition, coming from behind, lots of power and pitching, have not lost a series - it's truly something to behold. And yes, I'm fully aware that it's the first ten games of a l-o-n-g season...but where is the buzz?!? It's simply not there...not when Toronto sportsfans can wallow in the lameness that is another lame-o season by the Leafs and Raptors. As someone who doesn't even casually observe hockey or basketball, I could have told you that this would be the outcome @ the beginning of their respective seasons.

And yes, as mentioned upwards I am a secondary Blue Jays fan - even Joseph accuses me of not outwardly digging on them enough. So, now here this - I am a Blue Jays fan - I'm even willing to get my hopes way, way up after ten games...when, as a baseball fan, I know this is extremely foolish. But cheering for them has been so much easier than cheering for the Yankees...thus far. Not only have they been sucking, but they have been doing so in the big, bloated manner that the Yankees are so known for [though I loved that they let Nick Swisher pitch the other day - fun, fun stuff]. They do seem to lack the youth and excitement of the Blue Jays [guys, seriously, I'm having flashbacks to 1992 and I'm so not kidding...!], which really means that it won't be long before they trade away all of their hot prospects for the youthful Blue Jays players because that's what they do. Oh baseball, my love for you and my two polarizing teams probably reveals so much about my inner psyche...

2 comments:

  1. The St. Louis Blues are in the NHL playoffs for the first time in five years, and people are going crazy here! I personally don't think they'll go very far, but I could be wrong.

    I'd rather watch the Cardinals play baseball any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin was a big St. Louis Blues fan, strangely enough. Them and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I always felt he was being obtuse in cheering for American teams [says the Canadian Yankees fan].

    I'm always shocked beyond belief when anyone in America pays any attention to hockey - but Canadian teams rarely win the Stanley Cup these days.

    ReplyDelete