Monday, April 6, 2009

Job Interview #5 Post Mortem & Job Interview #6...and Baseball

So, off I went to what I'm deeming the accidental interview. When I agreed to the interview, part of my reasoning was that it would be a wonderful April spring day...and not snowing with ice pellets. Ha - I'm pretty funny sometimes. Anyway, I dressed warmly, if I bit unconservatively - wearing this kinda bold jacket that is a rough tweed in pink, magenta and reddish colours - it's very unusual. Paired with a plain black dress though, I think it looks smart [though it's a definite departure from my standard interview outfit of either a black suit or a brown suit]. The interview was a one-on-one with the current fellow who holds the job. That's right, a male executive assistant - a rare breed, to be sure! He was very nice and at least partially successful in making the job seem more interesting than their role description suggested. All in all, I'm still convinced this is not the right role for me, but the interview went well anyway. I think it went well because I'm not interested actually. If I were I would have been concerned about looking vaguely tornado chic from the weather and that I was being a little too confident in my answers. Yes, I was polite and relatively forthcoming, but I reigned in my answers significantly and I didn't exaggerate anything or change things around to say what I felt was wanting to be heard.

But also today! I got Job Interview #6! And this is a job I'm actually very interested in - so interested that I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to take it. The role is of coordinator for a charitable organization that is connected to a large-ish media conglomerate in our fair city. The work seems interesting and I think the organization is fantastic. In addition, it's close-ish enough to home [or any potential home that I may move to] that I would be able to cycle to work [once the snow stops, natch]! The interview is tomorrow and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about this - to be going on an interview for a job I really want...I feel like the pressure might be too much and I will end up letting fly with a string of expletives or getting a hiccup attack [mine last for hours] or maybe give the interviewer an impromptu high five...

And, of course - today was baseball opening day for me, with the Yankees and Blue Jays both playing. Baseball has been known to save my life time and time again...so I'm hoping that my excitement over this new season [and the fact that I'm going to the Jays game tomorrow evening] will give me some focussed energy to push through my interview tomorrow in a most sensible way [baseball can do magical things, even though this seems totally unrelated to baseball...in my life nothing is ever truly unrelated to baseball]. While the Yankees bummed it up bigtime [for any new readers, they are my favourite team, although due to geographic circumstance I watch the Blue Jays every night and I love them too] the Jays looked...pretty decent out there. While I would have been mortified @ them losing that big lead - it was the fans that were the true embarassment. Seriously? Throwing things @ players on the field? Detroit players? I fear this means that Toronto is infinitely less classy than Detroit...and if this is true...this is a sad day for my fair city.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Hope you get the position you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the upcoming interview. I really hope it goes well for you! And, by the way, I absolutely love your use of "tornado chic." Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your well wishes!

    I'm thankful that the weather appears better today. I've lost my professional umbrella and turning up @ an interview for a job I really want with the Ultimate Cat Umbrella is just not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Yes, it might be a great job - but it will probably help to go in remembering that there are other great jobs out there - maybe even better ones - and it's not critical that you get this one.

    (Don't get me started on the snow.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know - I tend to have pretty low expectations - but I really was beginning to think there would never be anything close to even a "good job" for me, so I'm kinda astounded. I'm fully prepared to come out of the interview with a very different opinion.

    We actually do have some fluffy nice snow. I love it. Though it makes fashion odd @ this time of year.

    ReplyDelete