Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Job Interview #6.2 - Post Mortem

Today was the day of my big second interview with the job that I really want. I wish I had more to report. I mean, I really wish I had more to report. This was a morning interview, which is something I try to avoid @ all costs. I'm not a morning person @ all and I find I'm much more relaxed with a late morning/early afternoon interview, but being that it's *the* job I want I didn't want to be difficult. Mornings also used to be difficult for me with my migraines - in the morning I would be so dizzy that I couldn't leave the house. I wanted to have a bit of a different look today and to show that I could blend into their culture, since I had already seen their office and employees [all two of them]. I risked hair scraggily-ness and tied my hair back and went with my newest black pantsuit with a semi-sassy top underneath. The TTC treated me shockingly well and I arrived fifteen minutes early [which I felt was a bit too early so I hung out in the lobby for a few minutes before ringing up - which was a good idea as the ED was running late].

It turned out to be a meeting with the Executive Director [once again] and also one of the board members for the organization [also a young woman - which is very nice to see]. They had a list of official looking questions printed out and sitting in front of them, but didn't really read from them. Once again it was more of a conversation and I worked hard to not sound too casual, to be concise and to not look too shifty by switching my eye contact from person to person. I think things went well-ish - there was a general warm feeling in the room and I felt very comfortable. However, I felt that the interview ran a little short. In fairness, they didn't ask me many questions and I think I properly expressed to them that I had already asked all of my questions and told them that they had done a really good job of explaining the role and organization [and the director assured me that I did ask good questions]. So, it's not like it ended abruptly or badly - it just seemed to come to a natural conclusion...but I'm now feeling awkward [yes, twelve hours later I feel awkward].

I should know the results of all this fun interviewing and referencing [she only called one reference - said it went very well] by some time on Friday. I was told that I am one of three remaining candidates. I feel like I'm a contestant on a reality TV program - but I really do appreciate the upfront-ness and forthright quality of the organization and the director. It's too damn rare in the job hunting world.

3 comments:

  1. I do hope that you get great news tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interview for the job I have now lasted 15 minutes, so I don't think the length of the interview really matters. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support! I'm pretty much freaking out - but I suppose no news can still be considered as good news.

    Colette - they must have really liked you. In the horrific recruiting agency interview the other day I was told that most hiring decisions are made within the first five minutes of an interview.

    ReplyDelete