Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daybreak

One of my favourite late night guys, Jimmy Kimmel, has a bit of an obsession with the TV program Lost. I've never seen it and I have no desire to see it and I really don't know too much about it [but I know enough about it that I could have a convincing watercooler conversation with someone about it - I can do this with most shows - it's an awesome talent, I know]. And yet, I find his excitement over Lost to be super endearing and I love hearing him go on about it. I'm hoping that my dozen of readers will find my excitement/love/obsession with Battlestar Galactica to be equally supercute [as I know that none of you, except Adrienne if she's reading watch it]. Yes, I love Battlestar Galactica - of all of the TV programs I watch, it's my absolute favourite [despite my frequent complaints about this season]. And, it's ending next Friday. I can't be melodramatic and say that I don't know what I will do when it's over because I'm fine with it ending...I think a show like this should come to a natural conclusion - and I think we've come as far as we can on this journey. And even if the finale is a stinker [which I feel it won't be], I'm even okay with that - Battlestar is a journey, not a destination. And apparently I also love the word journey.

That being said, the old gal is going out with a bang. By that I mean that I am actually leaving my bunker and will be circulating with the general populus [okay, the general nerd populus]. Earlier today, after a journey not unlike Frodo going to chuck that damn ring into that fiery pit, I obtained tickets to the Battlestar Galactica finale, which is being shown on a big screen @ a local independent cinema - in high definition [my first time], Dolby Surround, the whole works. I'm very excited about this and happy with my decision to experience the finale with other fans, rather than alone in the dark. Best of all, Adrienne will be joining me and I haven't seen her in a million years [seriously, it was four apartments ago]. Now all we have to do is protect ourselves from geeks pressing up upon us. I will not be in costume [others will], but I'm working on a nifty fingernail design. And yes, I'm delighted that I live in a city that is delightfully dorky enough to be hosting multiple Battlestar Galactica series finale parties.

On my beloved Battlestar...I dunno what to say. It's not like I'm not going to miss it, however, I have a hard time saying anything coherent about the show. I read other people's thoughts/theories/ramblings on the internets and I generally strongly disagree [I dunno - I'm a fan, not a fangirl...I tend to disagree with 90% of other fans on *everything* BSG]. But I never post my own words. And I was going to post little reviews/recaps for this season on my blog...but then I found that I lacked written words [and Joseph absorbs all of my spoken words - sometimes for hours on end - I can really talk BSG]. The thing is, it's not the kind of show where you say "oh, whenever I was feeling down I can watch progam X and then I feel better" - no, it's definitely not like that. When you feel happy and watch BSG, it will bring you down...when you feel depressed and watch BSG, it will tear you apart. At its best it completely breaks me down - it's wild, it's wonderful...it makes my heart ache and makes me feel more flawed and human than most other art [and yes, TV can be art]...it's simply awful and completely beautiful all at once. It's like - exactly what I want in the worst possible way.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really good way to experience the finale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopeful it will be fun. They are donating the profits to the Daily Bread Food Bank and are asking people to bring canned food for a chance to win a Battlestar prize pack. Normally I'm very fussy on viewing Battlestar - must be dark, quiet, without distraction...so I'm hoping people shut up. Since they will all be fans, I'm sure that's important to them, too.

    Toronto has a bit of a tradition with showing series finales. They showed both Cheers and Star Trek: TNG finales on the Jumbotron @ SkyDome. While it would be neat to see Battlestar that big, the acoustics suck in there and there is much distraction.

    ReplyDelete