Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Job Interview #3 Post Mortem

So, third interview...the third time's the charm? Hmmm, maybe. If nothing else, this interview was extremely interesting and maybe even a bit entertaining. I guess you could say that I'm turned back around on this whole executive assistant thing. Well, in this particular instance anyway. Like I said in my previous post on this subject - I think that a role like this could be not right @ all or it could be a very good fit indeed. Aside from having excellent administrative skills, a good executive assistant has to establish a good rapport with the person they are reporting to and then a professional relationship can really blossom. Well, for me anyway. When I'm working with bright people who are similarly driven - I really thrive. I do better work than even my ego thinks I'm capable of and I have a good time while I'm at it. And things kinda avalanche from there [in a good way - yknow, those good avalanches?].

Anyway, I was interviewed by the CEO [and just the CEO - no dozen of interviewers in the room] that I would be supporting - or rather, he interviewed me and then I interviewed him. While the whole notion of "interviewing the organization you are interviewing with" is hardly new - he really meant that I should ask him interview questions. I'm not sure I performed my best, but I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. Lots of back and forth and no silly rote interview questions [strengths/weaknesses, skill level with basic computer functions, etc.]. I felt very relaxed and comfortable - which might not be the greatest thing - I'm really unsure how to assess my performance here as it was so unorthodox. Basically, it's everything that I've ever wanted from an interview - so it's really my own dumbass fault if I didn't do well. We shall see...

On a purely superficial note, I wore my brown tweed pantsuit and my hair tied back in a new fancy ponytailer [as fancy as one gets whilst shopping @ Zellers - the use of the word "whilst" makes it infinitely more fancy]. I carried my sassy red handbag and wore some intense lipstick. Generally I wouldn't wear lipstick in that deep of a shade, but I was feeling anything but mousy today [I quite wanted to roar like a lioness - I think I was heavily influenced by my perhaps ill-advised combination of lucky Halloween socks and lucky pirate underwear - too many good vibrations had me bouncing off the wall a bit]. Anyway, I felt a definite boost in confidence. And yes, I realize the hypocrisy of me discussing my appearance in relation to job seeking when I have railed against the inherit sexism of appearance and gender in the workplace. I'm just trying to document which looks are the most successful and therefore destined to become designated as lucky in the future.

[on a sidenote - something I absolutely love about MP3 players and their smallness and power - you can bring your music with you, blaring whatever you would like right up until you step into the reception area. so, have @ it kids - blast your filthy gangsta rap or rage-fuelled protest music...or in my case, vintage Guns N Roses. oh yeah, there's nothing quite like the Gunners to get you fired up and ready to be professional...it gives me such a giddy little thrill that i'm sure it helps me in some fashion.]

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I just love that you have lucky Halloween socks and lucky pirate underwear. It makes me feel like I need some lucky undergarments of my own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It's always nice to leave an interview feeling like you'd enjoy working there.

    I suspect enjoying an executive assistant job would depend highly on how much you were valued in the organization. If you're doing important, interesting work with people who you like (and who like & respect you) it could be a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely a rare experience for me to go through the interview process and be *more* excited about potentially working somewhere. This interview will be the gold medal standard that all future interviews will be judged against. It's very rare indeed for me to actually *want* a job, rather than just need one. I feel oddly vulnerable.

    I have lots of lucky items of clothing. With some exception they aren't specifically lucky - just cute things I enjoy wearing...which in turn probably boosts my self-esteem and allows good things to happen to me.

    ReplyDelete