Sunday, March 22, 2009

See You On The Other Side

Despite having a rather disabling migraine episode spanning multiple days [since Friday morning until Saturday evening] I did manage to take in the Battlestar Galactica series finale - right here in my own shockingly quiet home [of course I suffered through a barrage of loud music all day - with my migraine - and was unable to leave the house due to my dizziness...so, fair's fair]. I had a brief moment of respite wherein I watched the finale, shouted down the nerds @ the fandom forum [on TV] and then discussed the finale @ length with the one who brought Battlestar into my life, Joseph. I'm not really going to get into the specifics of the finale here, but if you haven't seen it [I know someone who just started the series last night and I'm so jealous of the journey he's about to go on - he might not want to read this]. I'm more interested in tearing apart other fans of the show - which I know, sounds horrible...but anyone who knows anything about geeky fandoms on the internets...they can be the most horrific collection of individuals ever [or the most wonderful].

While obviously I'm a big fan of Battlestar these days...it wasn't always so. I've never really told anyone this, outside of Joseph [and I will deny it to him, too in my more trademark difficult moments]. The thing is, I do remember Joseph watching Battlestar - or should I say, *trying* to watch Battlestar. I was not a fan. I didn't get why the strange man was hallucinating some chick and Joseph had no rote answer for me. It frustrated me...and Joseph didn't feel comfortable watching it with me or when I was around [please note: I'm like god, I'm always around]. One night in a moment of great magnanimousness [it's a word] I recorded Battlestar for him...and then I stayed in the room and I was...not repelled. Then the next week Adama pulled off his ultimate manoever of badassery and I was totally hooked. See, as I've aged, my tolerance for weepy films that are steadfastly based in real life and all of its unpleasantness has drastically weaned. I used to love stuff like that - films that were serious films and had uncomfortable life realities on full display. But, now that I'm older, I find that what I mostly want is some awesome space porn and explosions and lots of action. Not to say that the serious business films aren't legitimate and more deserving of kudos, but they aren't so much my cup of tea anymore. But, imagine my surprise when I found out that Battlestar was more than just awesome spaceships...it also tackled the whole uncomfortable life reality junk better than mediums that are supposed to do this [that is to say, not TV science fiction].

So when I woke up yesterday, to the cold hard reality that Battlestar was well and truly done for - the world did seem a little colder and less interesting. It might be "just a TV show" - but for me, it was much more. The initial thrill of discovery, the late nights getting all caught up on two full seasons, loving characters, hating characters, getting blown away by things, getting angry by things...having some wonderful distraction that could flush out all the badness of real life [and replace it with the badness of the show]. There really were times when I would be so depressed and then think - oh well, at least there is still Battlestar. Especially in the extended breaks between seasons - where the wait for new Battlestar ended up actually being better than the episodes themselves. I kinda don't know what to do with myself now. But I'm slowly learning that geeky stuff like this never really dies - I will buy all of the DVDs and watch them and there will be endless internets chatter about it all over again. Knowing how it all ends up though - I wonder if this will affect future viewings - like, I wish I didn't know.

That's not to say that it ended poorly. Truthfully, I haven't been a fan of the entire last season. When I think about doing a great Battlestar rewatch, I'm kinda dreading sitting through those 20 hours again - I can think of only a handful of episodes I truly enjoyed. The finale? Well, yes, I wept often and openly - but I expected that and I know it was due to manipulative storytelling, combined with my sadness over the show ending. Overall, the finale was a bit hacky and trite - but the first hour and a bit was some of the finest space porn I've ever seen - and certainly on a TV budget, those involved can be very proud of their fine work. The thing is, I realized that no ending would be satisfactory entirely for me and Battlestar - so if the curtain coming down was a little dopey and non-sensical, meh - I'm okay with that. But so many TV critics and Battlestar fans have beeen exceptionally critical and childish in their respective takes on the finale. To them I would suggest that they rewatch the entire season [for which they have been largely forgiving and praise-heaping than I] and give it an honest assessment. It was not the Battlestar of old - it was okay...and really, many people were just hanging on for one frakking good finale [which didn't really deliver - if one has to watch 19 hours of mediocrity to get to it, that is]. So, maybe be upset about that geeks - not that the final two hours was some gigantic crapfest.

I held on because I had been witness to what Battlestar could be. It's like, people forgive great actors/directors for crummy films because they know what they can do - once you've directed The Godfather, people are going to continue giving you a fair shake, even with your share of stinkers in the past. For me, the finale was better than the sum of the parts of the final season - I know I'm in the minority there. But, I do like explosions and outer space and yes, even gun battles and robots. I might suggest to you that if you are not fond of these things, then perhaps you should not be watching a TV science fiction show [and perhaps you should be looking deeper into this one - because the superificial-seeming things...are not always what they seem - look closer]. Because, after all - it is what it is...Battlestar Galactica might have a Peabody Award and all sorts of adjulation...but it is a sci-fi television show - not that it shouldn't aspire to be more...but it's still pretty dang good for what it is, so let's not tear it up too badly now that it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment