Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Job Interview #4

My ego experienced a rare double boost yesterday - both times as a result of job-related occurences. Dang, I'm lucky to have this blog [this blog and my previous one actually figured into my interview yesterday, strangely enough]. It was a good day to be The Unemployed Elitist [when I say that in my head - with the capital "The" I feel like a superhero...a pretty crappy superhero, but still]. My interview yesterday began with my potential employer telling me that they had recieved over 400 resumes for that particular position and I was one of eighteen who had made the cut and called for an interview. I can't think of a nicer way to start off an interview...and while numbers like that are impressive, I can't help but think that by the time you've made it to the interview process for any job, you've actually made it quite far compared to everyone who won't get the call. So I suppose I should give myself a wee pat on the back for getting four face-to-face job interviews in two months.

So, onto job interview the fourth! My other ego boost happened earlier yesterday. I was drinking my morning coffee and watching some documentary on being lost @ sea [note to self: never do this again - these nightmares will be some time in fading - why am i so attracted to that which terrifies me?] when I recieved a telephone interview that I was vaguely expecting. It was brief, but I felt I made a good impression and I was articulate and such, even on limited coffee. They told me they felt they would be calling me back soon enough for a proper face-to-face meeting...and less than five minutes later they did. Yup - they knew that they wanted me. So - I've got that interview on Monday and it is pretty much right next door to my interview yesterday. I'm looking forward to it - the organization is again a not-for-profit one that I greatly admire and I'm very passionate about their cause [in my interview yesterday i noted to my possible future employer that i don't refer to specific names/organizations as the unemployed elitist - he told me i could use his name/organization, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable]. The position seems vaguely interesting as well as it would allow me to get my feet wet in the field of marketing/communications while builing on my development/administrative skills. I wonder what lucky garments I will wear?

Interviews seem to fall like this - all at once...and then nothing for days/weeks. I can't say that I've made any significant changes to my resume, cover letter style [they are all a bit different for obvious reasons] or any of my approaches. But suddenly I'm quite popular for some raisin [yes, that should be raisin - i say raisin in place of reason unless i'm in professional company]. Actually, around this time last year I was in a similar situation - I had the job interview and eventual offer from the organization I ended up with...and then a flurry of other interviews immediately after [and by flurry, I mean about four interviews in total]. Looking back, I'm glad I took the time to weigh out my options, but ultimately that didn't help me much as I ended up making completely the wrong decision. I would love to say "oh well, live and learn" - but I absolutely stink @ learning lessons. And yet, I do feel remarkably older and wiser these days so maybe I have learned.

4 comments:

  1. You're right...when it rains job interviews, it pours.

    I had TWO calls yesterday in response to applications I'd submitted for part-time jobs. The first job is temporary, but pays well. The second (I have an interview tomorrow) is at the coffee bar of a local grocery store.

    Not sure which I'll go with at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible for you to take both? Sometimes temp. assignments can be flexible.

    I wish I could figure out *if* there is anything I`m doing differently. So that I could apply that when I`m going through a drought of interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all the interviews! Are you sending out Thank you Cards after the interview? I did not do that until my last set of interviews (prior to getting this job) and I hear it is supposed to give one a competitive edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kinda divided on thank you cards. Apparently those giving out job hunting advice are too as you hear either that they are essential or that they are annoying to potential employers! I have done it before, but generally only when I really want the job and/or I have something to add/stress that I didn't get to say or said awkwardly in an interview.

    One thing I think is essential with the thank you card is that it be sent via snail mail. Most job hunting strategies say that email is okay...I disagree - I think it looks tacky. I have a big stock of generic cards I always keep on hand [they are blank and have a nice image/art on the front - something reflective of my personality] and seriously? To mail a card is 53 cents. Pony up the dough.

    ReplyDelete