Monday, March 23, 2009

Job Interview #4 - Post Mortem

This job interview was definitely back to basics, compared to last week's fun meeting. Once again sat @ a long table and facing a group of four interviewers. All of them were women and all quite attractive. It was like being interviewed by a crew of people working for Abercrombie & Fitch or some other mall store that has ridiculously good looking people as staff [yes, I'm still a little freaked out by the shirtless Abercrombie dude wearing the exceedingly low-cut jeans]. Not that there is anything wrong with pretty people - but, interviews can be stressful enough without having to face down a team of women who are better looking than you are [and I swear one of them rolled her eyes @ me more than once - but, keep in mind I am a bit paranoid]. Not that I'm superficial or anything...but at least I was wearing my Coco Chanel suit [this is a name given to one of my suits by one of my former bosses - I have no idea why, we were just a kooky pair - the suit is actually more of a Fendi rip-off and my other former boss had the exact same fabric for one of her suits, except that my jacket was inexpensive and had three-quarter sleeves - I don't think these two things are related...but maybe they are].

The interview itself was pretty rote/by the book. Approximately four pages of interview questions and a rotating bevy of people asking the questions. Some scenario situations ["and why would you do that in this order?"] and lots of tell me about what you know about X, Y, Z. I kinda hate questions like that - my most specific hated one is when they ask about what type of computer software applications I am familiar with - and then just let me rhyme them off without telling me to stop. Because seriously, I know a lot of programs. Wouldn't it be easier if they said - dyou know Microsoft Word and Excel and Powerpoint? Awesome, because that's what we use. But, no...interviews have to be like some sort of crazy guessing game designed to make you feel disoriented and ineffectual. Just me? Okay. All in all, no real interesting questions except that they asked what my co-workers would describe as my strengths/weaknesses, rather than what I would identify. It made me chuckle on the inside and then a little on the outside [because I kinda felt things slipping away anyway by this point] as I mentally called up the types of things my former co-workers might say I'm awesome at [hot celeb gossip, idiosyncratic useless knowledge and smelling/hearing things from extreme distances] and the things at which I suck [keeping up a positive mood, following authority and tolerating ineffective team members].

I'm not sure where to file this interview. The job is not what it seemed. It was billed as Supporter Services Coordinator...but really I think what they want is a Receptionist who will also do some basic administrative tasks. They asked me so many questions about reception that I finally said "why are you asking me so many questions about reception?" Again, I'm not wild about people/organizations who aren't forthcoming about the role/contracts/terms of employment throughout the process. I'm keeping my mind open as well as my options - the organization is a noble cause and the people were mostly nice and the office had a good vibe about it...I'm possibly willing to bargain.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you about organizations not being forthcoming about the job. Why does that seem to be such a common occurrence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't get it. I mean, these days people are just happy to have a job and stuff so I think that organizations think they can get away with jerking you around a little. But, I know that I've always felt like it's pulling teeth to get any sort of information on your contract and other work conditions before they want to you sign. It's infuriating.

    ReplyDelete