Okay, so official job interview #3 comes to us courtesy of email. Which, yes, I've been applying for all of my jobs online - but this interview request came through email. I find that a bit unusual. I have my non-professional email up all day on my laptop - each time I get something on Facebook or from Barack Obama [hey, they are the two "people" who email me the most - I'm a real winner, what can I say?] I get the little chime thing and away we go. I love email alerts. My professional email I only tend to access when I'm applying for jobs and then maybe once first thing in the morning and once @ the close of the business day. I tend to get absolutely nothing of any urgency to that email address. Except today. So yes, interview arranged and directions and other information completely sorted - all without live human contact [I still don't think emails represent real people]. As much as I hate the telephone, I do have some rather shining moments on it and I rather enjoy it as a good opportunity for me to make an excellent first impression. Anyway...
Once again, this potential job opportunity isn't without conflict. Apparently I just can't do that. So, even after all of the drama of the previous job interview in a different city...I haven't learned my lesson. While this one is in Toronto, I'm not really sold on it either [yes, I can hear everyone out there telling me to just suck it up - I hear you and I appreciate that]. The thing is, I applied for it because I think that it is a fantastic organization and I would really like to know more about the specific position before dismissing it as something I wouldn't be interested in doing. The specific position in question is Executive Assistant to the CEO. Yes, I know that I've sworn up and down that I don't want to be anyone's assistant - again [though technically my role @ the executive search firm was one of project coordination it surely felt EA-y]. Just the thought of being referred to as "so and so's assistant" makes me want to punch my fist through the wall. And yet, as a title this can be very vague - making it either a bad fit for me, or something right up my alley. Last spring I had an interview with Engineers Without Borders for essentially the same position and it was revealed the job was strictly administrative in nature and just all about supporting the CEO, not really doing your own work. Bleh. I decided that was a no go and was then roundly chastized by two different recruiters. Bleh on them, too. But sometimes an EA is more of a project manager type of person. Sometimes they do lots of different things and there is room to grow within the organization. Sometimes the EA type person will wield power. Obviously, that's what I'm interested in - ha! But we shall see @ the interview next week. While it would be a bonus if role descriptions provided the kind of detail job seekers are really looking for - I don't mind getting gussied up and going out there to find out for myself in a face-to-face kinda way.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI'm all for holding out for the right job (as long as you can financially afford it) - there's no point in taking a job you won't be happy in.
Luckily I'm quite a frugal gal. I've managed to save quite a bit of money while working [one paycheque per month] and I have an inheritance that I've never touched [and don't really want to]. I'm trying to be optimistic that maybe this will be a good fit, but I'm always a bit hesitant about assistant roles - it's lots of hours with sometimes little recognition. I'm not eager to live that life again.
ReplyDelete