Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lazy Sunday

The idea of inventing and implementing a Lazy Sunday Challenge sprung forth into my fertile wee mind a while ago. It was the day that I went to see Man on Wire - it was a Sunday matinee. I bemoaned the fact that I rarely do anything of interest/consequence on Sundays - maybe a trip to the grocery store or maybe I cook/bake things - but for the most part I enjoy a good and thorough mope. Sitting around dreading the week to come and frittering the day away...essentially making it Monday already. I decided to call it the Lazy Sunday Challenge because of that SNL Digital Short of the same name - because to me, it seemed anything but. They go get cupcakes, they go see a film...and so forth. That would be an ambitious Saturday for me, but it made me curious about what people do on typical Sundays. And, starting this weekend, I'm going to attempt to extend my weekly Weekend Fun to include Sunday. It's a revolution and a revelation.

I can't promise this will happen every weekend, but my experience today really provided the incentive for me to try. After a really crummy sick day yesterday I needed to feel like I had a weekend. At the same time I was worried I wouldn't be able to perform today either. Anyway, I accepted another shift @ the shoe museum so I was there for a little over 2.5 hours. Very busy and full of life for such a gloomy and foreboding Sunday. Joseph met me up @ the museum and we continued our hunt for a PlayStation3...we expect this to continue for many more Sundays [lazy and otherwise] and other days in between [I'll keep you up to date]. After our unsuccessful tour I emphatically declared that we should go out for dinner. Yeah, that's right - on a Sunday. The craziness. We went for pho, which is quickly becoming my favourite food place ever in Toronto. It's cheap, it's plentiful, it doesn't require Joseph to use social skills and it's delicious. Perfect. And we even made it home just in time to watch The Simpsons and the rest. Generally we both mope about all day until it's time for Fox's animated Sunday lineup and generally feel insanely gross and mopey and dready and don't have much fun watching it. I might have just been high on carbohydrates [please note - I was extremely high on carbohydrates], but the programs were like, 80% hilarious. An extreme uptick from usual.

So yes, good experiment. More Lazy Sundays to come. It's tough to get going on it, but it did feel good - rewarding. I felt like I had a proper two day weekend. And I don't even have that horrific Sunday evening/nearing bedtime feeling [the worst!].

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about feeling cruddy after a day spent doing nothing. It doesn't happen to me often (we usually go to church at a minimum), but to go to bed feeling like I haven't accomplished anything is irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it's more about actually leaving the house. If I do things inside [art things, cooking, etc.] I feel kinda scruddy. But it seems to me that Sunday isn't a viable day like Saturday - that's how I view it anyway. When Joseph suggested going out on Saturday rather than Sunday I immediately recoiled. It's like Sundays don't really exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! (Especially that Sunday evening/nearing bedtime feeling)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the worst! The WORST! So for me to be able to escape it - one would think that would be enough incentive to keep up with the Lazy Sunday Challenge. But, we shall see...[so lazy]...

    ReplyDelete