Monday, March 2, 2009

Only Turkeys Have Left Wings

Here's a shocker: I'm not a Republican. Truth be told, I'm not a Democrat either. I'm much worse - I'm a Canadian. But since my political ideals are rarely covered by our spectrum of parties...and also, the boringness...I tend to follow American politics much more closely than my own [when we have elections I just do a crash course and then vote for the fellow with the nicest sweater]. So, while many might find this whole talk of 2012 a little premature [and, don't get me wrong, it totally is] - I like having something to look forward to. Anyway, since the Democrats already have their guy for this race, the focus is largely on who the Republicans will put forth. There have been many srs business polls conducted on this matter, but I find the results to be a bit lackluster. So, I'm taking it to the streets...err - blog streets, that is. I don't know any real-life Americans [okay, I know one-half of an American...hi Seth!], so I'm relying upon Americans in my blogosphere...and their associates. You don't have to be Republican to weigh in, I'm just curious as to what the word is on *your* streets on this issue [yes, I don't always trust the trusty CNN news filter].

I think that the polls I've seen show the usual suspects, most of whom seem to be pretty cromulent candidates [although most are so far from my cup of tea that they are Kool-Aid]. I believe that Mitt Romney is leading the pack, although Sarah Palin also has come out on top recently. Then you've got Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, John McCain [really?] and Rudy Giuliani rounding things out. For the most part, these are all the same old faces. Do any of them strike a chord with you? While I don't have a huge vested interest in America, obviously I wish them well, but I'm not sure which of these folks would be a smart choice. Sure, Romney looks like Guy Smiley from The Muppet Show, but I'm not sure that makes him a good candidate for Commander in Chief...as much as I dig muppets. I would like to think that some new or previously unheard of person will emerge - I do like a good fight.

And while I don't think that this person should really ever be mentioned, even on my wee and insignificant blog - I've got to say that I just don't get Rush Limbaugh. Actually, that's not quite correct - I get him...what I don't get are his ardent supporters. Or that his type of rhetoric can still whip people up but good. Aside from being nasty and over the top, it just seems so dated. So, if anyone wants to step up the plate to explain the miraculous resurrection of Rush to me - please, feel free. To me he belongs in a bin with Anne Coulter - they are both so repellent that one doesn't ever really need to say anything about them. It's beyond silly that anyone of note, including Mr. President and Michael Steele would deign to give him a so much as a shout out.

[and as much as I love you, Roland Martin - and you know that I do - you really need to learn how to be tough but fair with the shouty assclown contributing talking head folks that CNN has been pulling in lately. it's no fun listening to people shouting over each other. take a lesson from the master, Anderson Cooper - he shuts that down with a quickness].

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone should be even TALKING about the next presidential election for about 3 years. The whole thing goes on way too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I hear you. But I think it will really start ramping up by 2010 - which is just months away. Brace yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an observer, I'm always amazed at how polarized political discussions get in the U.S. - it's not just that people disagree on the issues, but they seem to discount anything that comes from someone who identifies with the other political party. Obviously, this is not true of everyone (or else the party in power would never change), but it's definitely true of some very vocal people.

    We do have some partisan people here, but for the most part Canadians seem much less vocal. That probably has to do with the fact that we have multiple political parties, most of the parties we have are right in the middle of the political spectrum, and we're more inclined to vote against something than for something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think another differing factor is that we don't register as any particular type of voter. In America you register as Democrat, Republican or Independent. Here you just vote. I think that actually signing up as something makes an important statement and you are more likely to more fiercely identify as this and remain this way for life.

    In the last few years it seems that it is a very small minority that wields all the power in American elections.

    ReplyDelete