Monday, March 30, 2009

Stuff I Bought & I Love

Okay, so Mindy Kaling [cast member and writer for The Office] used to have and maybe still does have a cool blog where she talks about stuff that she's bought and loves. Fashion, foods, frivolous stuff - lots of different things. I can't figure out if she still has the blog or I would provide a link. Also, it's cool because she's one funny chicka. Anyway, I thought it would be a neat addition to my blog if I were to talk about stuff that I've bought and I love. In general, I'm not really that hungry of a consumer. Over the past year I have bought only three pieces of clothing: a pair of totally nonsensical black faux snakeskin leggings [and I kinda hate leggings] that I bought in Montreal during a moment of perhaps "oh crap I'm turning 30" haste, a khaki corduroy skirt and grey yoga pants [both my first purchases from Old Navy - I used to be wealthy enough to shop @ The Gap]. Also, I'm generally pretty frugal - although I do make exceptions to this and buy stuff that's slightly more expensive because I feel it's worth it.

This is kinda one of those things. It's also silly. In November I went to the One of a Kind show, where I tend to buy most of my interesting xmas gifts [and stuff for myself if I'm feeling particularly prosperous]. Well, everyone who went in got a free gift - an Intuition razor [they know their audience - females who require leg shaving]. I generally buy the cheapest razors that aren't own-brand and then I bitch and moan when I shave my legs twice and they cut me to hell each time - then I throw them out. Lather, rinse, repeat. Anyway, I certainly never buy those fancy razors that have the replaceable cartridges, like the Intuition razor [also, it had that annoying advert with that annoying Jewel song]. So averse to fancy-pants razors, that, during my thing-a-day project last year that I even tried Nad's - read all about it here. Well, while packing for my slightly tragic xmas holiday I decided to pack up ye olde Intuition razor as I felt that it would eliminate the need for shaving gel [which hates being on an airplane]. And? It totally did. After the first time I used it, I'm a believer. While I still need the after-shaving moisturizing of lotion/body butter [I have dry, dry skin and I love hot, hot showers], I did not need shave gel. I did not injure myself at all, either. Total bonus. I used it several more times while on holiday and each time was a delight [as much of a delight as shaving one's legs can be - the chicks in the adverts are always having one hell of a time].

The other day I stumbled across a coupon for $2 off refills for the Intuition razor [yeah, yeah - that's how they get you - give you a taste and then jack up the price]. I knew that if the coupon was for $2 that the razors must be costly. Well, they were [compared to my crummy Bics - not the fancy Bics, but like, the crummiest things that can still be called Bics] - three Intuition refills cost $11.99 @ my local pharmacy [might have been cheaper @ Zellers, but the didn't have refills, only the razors]. I still bought them. While $11.99 [or, $9.99 with my coupon-clipping savvy] isn't a lot of money - it's almost three times what I normally pay for ten crappy razors [that require a metric tonne of shaving gel, lest I risk nicking myself so badly that I bleed out in the shower]. But, I will be shaving money on shaving gel and the razors will last much longer than two uses. So, yeah. The Intuition razor - stuff that I bought and I love!

2 comments:

  1. Is this it?
    http://thingsiboughtthatilove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was it. Because, it used to be @ a different address and look different and had a bit of a different style. So I didn't want to link to something that wasn't really her. I will need to do some further investigative journalism.

    ReplyDelete